Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Monday Night: Poo York and stuff

" I saw at last a fearful truth which no one had ever dared to breathe before -- the unwhisperable secret of secrets -- that fact that this city of stone and stridor is not a sentient perpetuation of Old New York as London is of Old London and Paris of Old Paris, but that it is in fact quite dead, its sprawling body imperfectly embalmed and infested with queer animate things which have nothing to do with it as it was in life"
--H.P Lovecraft

Hannah and her band are going to Jew York to play 5 shows in 5 days. I have been hearing from a few people who live there that New York sucks now. I don't really want this to be true because I have a soft spot for the place. Basically I heard a lot of things about how safe and boring and predictable it is now. From what I can tell,
it is now a New York themed amusement park with a Whole Foods in Union SQuare that all of the yuppies got giant boners about. I think people are possibly just caught up in this whole mythology about themselves living in this place so they end up trying too hard and being unbearable. I mean, you get a bunch of people from all over the country (including Iowa) who are like "I'm gonna do it, I'm gonna move to New York. See ya' later DubuQue." I moved there too, ya know. But it was way back in 2002 or some year like that. Plus I didn't try very hard to do anything but buy drugs in Tompkins SQuare Park. Woops. I have no point to make yet, I'm just a ramblin'man. I need to gather more information from the field.

Today, I went to Vulcan and pushed all the dvd's forward into the other room to make room for more dvd's so I can push them forward again later. Gratifying work.


"Lady in White"--- Hoe-lee shit, man. This is supposed to be a kid's movie I think, but it was by no stretch of the imagination a thing a kid should see. Right? Am I too protective of my kids I don't have? Maybe it's good for kids to see little girls strangled and thrown off a cliff? I don't know. Prepare them for upcoming Mad Max scenario around the corner? It was a good, scary, ghost story, and I don't usually like kids movies or fantasy stuff that much. It was charming and scary and good, ok? And there were a lot of Italians in it.

No comments: