Saturday, November 15, 2008

Painting the White House Less White

"I am writing this under appreciable mental strain, since by tonight I shall be no more. Penniless, and at the end of my supply of the drug which alone makes my life endurable, I can bear the torture no longer; and shall cast myself from this garret window into the sQualid street below. Do not think from my slavery to morphine that I am a weakling or degenerate. When you have read these hastily scrawled pages you may guess, though never fully realise, why it is that I must have forgetfulness or death."
---heavy shit from the man H.P. Lovecraft



So every black musician in history has one song about painting the White house black, right? Well, that Obama fellow better do it on his first day or there's going to be Hell to pay. The other thing: why is Barack Obama black? He's just as white as he is black. His mom was whiter than I am. She's from KANSAS. She was English, German, and Irish or something. But everybody says he's black. Let us refer as we always do to a Public Enemy song:


Fear of a Black Planet

You have to get to :54 to hear the Quote from guy that goes:

Black man, black woman, black baby
White man, white woman, white baby
White man, black woman, black baby
Black man, white woman, black baby


Who is this that they sampled? I can't figure it out. Anyway, Public Enemy rules. That was the first tape I ever bought, and I listened to it 1,000 times.

Last night I worked on a thing for Arthouse at Broken Neck. It is film footage for an art installation about punk rock by some English guy. I was in back loading film all night, but I heard the music. Loading is insane, my hands hurt from repetitive motion. Everything was going great until the very end when the 2 cameras caught up to me and I got the panic fear. One camera was without film for a couple minutes, but no one seemed to mind. I was set up in back and they had runners continuously running mags to and from the cameras to me. That's a crazy job.

"Up the Yangtze"--- Good documentary coming out on DVD Tuesday. I liked it a lot. It's about how they dammed up the Yangtze River in China, and how it caused millions to move out of the impending flood plain. The movie follows one family thus affected who send their daughter to work on a luxury cruise liner that is taking a "farewell cruise" up the Yangtze. It is crazy to see her dealing with the culture shock. Neither of her parents read or write, and she is learning English to cater to the tourists on the boat.

1 comment:

annecy said...

if by public enemy standards barack obama is black, then that's good enough for me.