Saturday, March 7, 2009

Oscars and Movies

"Who knows the end? What has risen may sink, and what has sunk may rise. Loathsomeness waits and dreams in the deep, and decay spreads over the tottering cities of men. A time will come-"
---H. P. Lovecraft- "The Call of Cthulhu"

Here is something I wrote the day after the Oscars and never pushed send or whatever:
What a fucking joke. I tied Greg for 1st in the Vulcan Oscar contest thing where you pick winners for all the categories. I got 19 right and missed 5. I watched the last 2/3 of the Oscar showie thing. God, the depths that American movies have reached. It is abysmal. They did this thing during the final credits where they show all the new movies that will be coming out in 2009. It was just all the same crap as all the other years. Animated hamsters jumping on balloons, guys shooting guns, and remakes of good movies that look like they will now be ruined forever. So, it confirmed my suspicion that they have literally given up on making good movies and have just settled into making remakes and seQuels. So I saw that they are coming out with a movie called "State of Play," and it dawned on me that they have also obviously run out of titles as well. I'm pretty sure there is an office in Hollywood where they have a hat containing a lot of little pieces of paper with a bunch of words like state, war, art, game, storm, dark, etc. So what they do is just randomly pick 2 or 3 words out of the hat and they throw them together and there they have the title to their next movie. "Art of Game" "State of War" "Dark War Time" "Time of War" "State of Play" -see that last one is real, and I know they got it from the hat.

"A Boy and His Dog"-- I've been trying to watch a lot of post-apocalyptic movies lately to prepare myself for the coming you-know-what. This is one of those cool desert dystopian future type movies like Mad Max. It has Don Johnson in one of his few movie roles, and maybe his only "good" movie role. He plays this guy who is psychically linked to his dog and they communicate with each other through ESP. It is pretty good. I mean how bad could what I just described be? It's sort of funny what an asshole Don Johnson's character is. He spends the whole movie trying to get his dog to find him a woman so he can basically rape her. The 70's were nuts.

"Splendor in the Grass"-- Another Elia Kazan movie. Really good. Warren Beatty and Natalie Wood. This is like a small town high-school drama about those 2 people being all in love and stuff. His parents are rich and want him to go to Yale and her parents want them to get married. Warren Beatty wants to do the sex but knows he can't sully a nice girl, so his Dad tells him to just find one of those other types of girls to do it with. I liked the movie a lot. I haven't seen a bad Kazan movie yet. He's cool even though he ratted out bunch of people during the McCarthy hearings. What a pussy.

1 comment:

ergo said...

this was the first year that I can remember, maybe ever, where I haven't seen a single one of the nominees for best picture. i guess i sort of want to see them. maybe. well probably not.

the crass advertisement section at the end of the oscars was a new symbolic low, but really the oscars jumped that shark in their second year when they abandoned the category that gave best picture to sunrise and kept the one that gave it to wings.