Friday, October 10, 2008

Friday Night Wooo.

"I have harnessed the shadows that stride from world to world to sow death and madness....Space belongs to me, do you hear?"------H.P. Lovecraft


lady of the blog,

So I think I'm going to work at Vulcan tonight. I'll be there to see all the video-couples. I've been working at Vulcan long enough to start to see some trends in the customers, and junk. On weekend nights we get a lot of people who are like in early stages of relationships who don't want to leave the house because they are so in L with each other. They hang all over each other and point out all of the movies that they like to each other. We don't get many single party people because they don't want movies. They are all restless and stuff so they go out to bars to try to find people that they can bring to the video store at a later date. There is also an in-between stage though, which gives us another genre of customers: drunk people who are at the video store as an excuse to go home together to make out. They were at bars and they guy said, "we should go watch a movie at my house." It's a perfect excuse. So we get drunk people who are kind of awkward with each other still, and they joke around a lot. I don't think it even matters what they rent because they won't make it through the opening credits anyway.
There's also regulars that are like dudes with beards, bro couples who like to watch movies, middle aged couples (with or without children), and nerdy people who don't want to go out anyway. Guess which I am.

Also, I joined the Austin Film Society yesterday. I'm going to try to meet fancy adults. Since I have vague plans to shoot a documentary sometime before I die, it seems like I should be an actual paying member of AFS. It's just what one does.

I changed the lightbulb in one of the headlights in Hannah's truck today. Who says Jews can't work on cars? I even got grease on my hands. whoa.

I have to go to work now.
love,
alex


"They Shoot Horses Don't They?"- I liked this movie even though it was really stressful, icky, and unpleasant to watch. I really didn't know Sydney Pollack could produce such an unrelenting piece of utter bleakness. In a good way.

"Moment to Moment" I've been trying to go back and watch every available Robert Downey Sr. movie. I was a little disappointed with this one. It didn't have much of his usual wacky half-jivetalk-half-Groucho Marx sense of humor.

"Chafed Elbows" Another Robert Downey Sr. I really liked this one. It's half stills with narration and half live-action. Really good 60's New York jive avant-garde scum-ball cinema. Robert Downey Sr. has this cool habit of always having people say"don't worry about it" in a beatniks sort of sense. I like it.

No comments: