Sunday, October 12, 2008

sunday - the homeless

"Children will always be afraid of the dark, and men with minds sensitive to hereditary impulse will always tremble at the thought of the hidden and fathomless worlds of strange life which may pulsate in the gulfs beyond the stars, or press hideously upon our own globe in unholy dimensions which only the dead and the moonstruck can glimpse."
---Howard Phillips Lovecraft

I went to Spiderhouse with Mike Wachs and Mr. Shivers today, and that's literally all I have done besides reading an interesting article about the internets....

I have always wondered at what exact moment a man becomes homeless, or something. I heard a song on the radio the other day that proposes one theory:
"Bad, Bad Whiskey" by Buddy Guy (here are some of the lyrics)
"I went out last night
Finally knocked myself outta sight
I got full of that bad stuff
And almost started a fight
Bad, bad whiskey
Bad, bad whiskey
Bad, bad whiskey
Made me lose my happy home
Made me lose my happy home"...

So I guess this guy had a totally valid house, went out, drank some bad whiskey, and forgot where he lived? That's terrifying. He has a perfectly reasonable house just sitting vacant somewhere, and he just has no idea where he left it. This has actually always been my theory, that homeless people just can't remember how to get back to their suburban homes. I always imagined these guys in suits, they leave the house to go to work, they lose their keys, get hit on the head, and they spend the rest of their lives wandering around becoming increasingly dirty and dilapidated looking. Their once fashionable and freshly pressed suits slowly turning into 1930's-era proper hobo costumes.
They have floppy shoes, drink Cisco out of bags, and ride trains. For example, this man was once the president of the World Bank:



Scary shit.
For this reason I always draw a rudimentary map for myself before leaving the house. That's one thing I don't want to have to worry about.


I found an old video of one of my professors speaking about the areas of his expertise: namely, those well-known men who project movies from their penises:




Love,alex

I'm still watching
The Larry Sanders Show - Season One DVD



1 comment:

Me said...

the thing about a blog is that you have to love it by updating it