Wednesday, December 24, 2008

3

"Solid elements, contained and brewed in water animated by erotic movement, shoot out in the form of flying fish."---Georges Bataille


So the other day I was complaining about the fact that I haven't been writing as much of these gaylogs lately. In response, the international blogging sensation and local newspaper lady Leah demanded that I write a post every day for a week. She's the editor of the Daily Texan so making insane, life threatening demands on people to write is a conditioned response at this point. I instantly saw the horrible truth which is that she is a frenzied Queen bee sending her hapless workers off to die in the honey mines. Although she was clearly off the clock when she gave me the assignment, and the fact that I'm just some dude on blogger and not a writer at the Texan, I got scared and agreed. So, this is my third post out of a proposed seven. I'm scared! What can happen? Who could die?
Anyways, I'm in Dallas for a few days, and tonight Toby attempted to teach me some ridiculously complicated and nerdy card game called "ConQuest of the Galaxy," or something. Man, I lead a life of the most shocking decadence. Here is a sample of the game description:

In Race for the Galaxy, players build galactic civilizations by game cards that represent worlds or technical and social developments.Each round consists of one or more of five possible phases. In each round, each player secretly and simultaneously chooses one of seven different action cards and then reveals it. Only the selected phases occur. For these phases, every player performs the phase’s action, while the selecting player(s) also get a bonus for that phase.For example, if at least one player chooses the Develop action, then the Develop phase will occur; otherwise it is skipped............
Christ!


"Mr. Smith Goes to Washington"--- Watched part of it the other day. Frank Capra tends to be a little overly sentimental and schmaltzy, but I am more willing to accept that kind of thing when Jimmy Stewart is the one being that way. It would probably be unbearable if it starred almost an other actor. Lots of snappy 40's-type dialogue and brassy broads. It's just a little too perfect and tidy: corrupt politicians defeated by the well-meaning townie and his multitude of boy scouts. The good guys win and stuff, and I feel like there was a literal, waving American flag at the end.



1 comment:

Me said...

you're doing great slugger